Saturday, August 27, 2011

Prednisone: Tapering problems

I was able to taper my dosage of prednisone from 12.5mg to 10mg so easily that I became foolish.   When given the ok by my doctor about 6 weeks ago to taper from 10mg to 7.5mg, I used the same schedule as I did with the previous taper:  a few cycles of every 4th day taking 7.5, then every 3rd day, then every other day, 7.5 and 10, for about five days, then every 3rd day taking 10 for a few cycles, then every 4th take 10 for a few cycles, then declare myself at 7.5mg.
 
Unfortunately, in the midst of this tapering schedule, we had yet another family crisis which increased my stress level considerably; stress can really mess with the body’s need for cortisol, and therefore a slower taper was warranted.  But I didn’t want to slow things down – DUMB ME!  I very foolishly ignored the return of arteritis symptoms, initially very mild, on the 4th day of my straight 7.5mg dosage.  By the 8th day of straight 7.5mg dosage (last night), my scalp pain was at a 5-6 on a 10 point scale, and I had little sleep.  I will now have to go back to 10mg for several days until symptoms (hopefully) subside.  Then I will have to start the taper all over again. 

I will only be able to get off this evil medication if I pay attention to my body’s signals, and I have only made things worse by ignoring them.   A lesson learned, and not easily.  

No comments:

Post a Comment