The mild cold and sinus infection I had a few weeks ago ended up being something much worse – temporal arteritis. It’s an auto-immune disease where “giant” cells of the immune system attack, and can eventually destroy, the arteries of the face. I was lucky because I caught it very early - I shouldn’t have any long term problems associated with the condition. However, the treatment to ensure that I don’t develop any long term problems is AWFUL – high to moderate dose steroids for a long time.
I will be on prednisone for at least a year, maybe as long as three years. You are started on high doses to zap the attacking immune system as fast as possible - to save the arteries, and your vision, and your life. Then the dose is slowly lowered to a more moderate dose over the following month. This is an old, tried-and-true, medication, but certainly NOT a benign one. I keep telling myself that the side effects are worth saving my vision, but when I feel so rotten that can be difficult to remember.
I took my 7th high dose this morning. In addition to a positive clinical response, I started to feel the negative side effects within 12 hours of my first dose. I’m on a roller coaster – antsy, with energy surges followed by crashing for hours, and hair-trigger reactions to things that usually wouldn’t bother me much. My blood pressure, which has been a challenge to control over the past 5 years anyway, is now 40 points higher than last week. My blood sugar (I’m not a diabetic but I’ve had a testing kit for years since my father and his mother were type II diabetics) is higher than I’ve ever seen it, and isn’t returning to normal within the required ~2 hours after eating, although it is ok in the morning. And then last night I had a 9+ hour episode of atrial fibrillation (and for me that means no sleep). My paroxysmal a-fib is usually very well controlled on anti-arrhythmia meds, but I can experience breakthroughs when my blood pressure isn’t being well controlled, such as times of stress. Well, my blood pressure isn’t well controlled right now. AAARGH!!!!
The dose tapering starts tomorrow. I know I won’t have as many wild problems once I have tapered to the moderate dose, but that will take several weeks. Then I can begin to adjust, I hope. By the December holidays I should be more balanced, and by the time my grandson is born in February I should be much more balanced. Again, I HOPE so.
Meanwhile I am making it through. I keep telling myself that this is nothing compared to chemotherapy for cancers, or other really nasty treatments, and that the long term benefit is worth it. My one glimmer of light from this treatment, aside from the obvious benefits, should occur next spring, summer, and fall – I should have my mildest allergy symptoms ever. Something positive to look forward to.
No comments:
Post a Comment